Now that I'm 100% Linux...

Dave Andruczyk djandruczyk at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 1 08:36:49 EST 2005

--- Scott Fleming <hawkwynd at adelphia.net> wrote:

> Ditched the windows machines for my RH Fedora Core. I'm loving life
> under the penguin, but have some questions about proceedures I know are
> common in windows, but uncommon for me in my new linux world.
>
> 1. I have a scsi controller with 3 9gb hard drives. I would like to
> manage the disks, like I would with windows, having partitions and
> folders for the system to be able to view them in my file manager GUI
> thingy. Assistance with storage management under Linux would be
> appreciated.

Well if you want to manage partitions and such, qtparted is a good one.  It can
even resize partitions (including NTFS as long as it's NOT a dynamic disk)

> 2. Sharing is fun, and I like sharing my storage with the rest of the
> machines on my network. I have a nas machine, named //Gollum who's share
> is /share. I want to automatically mount this network share everytime I
> log in to my linux machine. How do I tell my penguin to do this
> automatically?

Edit /etc/fstab add a line like:
//gollum/share /share smbfs credentials=/etc/gollum_pass 0 0

This will make it try and mount every time,  not if the gollum server is dead,
the boot iwll get hung up timing out waiting for the mount to complete,  if
that is a concern you could either add the "noauto" flag and then just call
"sudo mount /share" from a shell,  OR setup the automounter (man autofs)  so
that it mounts it when you enter the directory, and unmounts it on exit.

create a file called /etc/gollum_pass and in it put:
username=silly
password=penguin

run "chown root:root /etc/gollum_pass" and "chmod 600 /etc/gollum_pass"

The idea behind using the credentials file is that it's more secure.  It can
only be read by root with the above chown/chmod combo, whereas in the fstab
file anyone can read it.

You might want to read the man page on smbmount and mount (man mount, man
smbmount) for additional flags you can use in the fstab file  (ones that might
be of use are uid, and gid).

Dave J. Andruczyk