gentoo, (was I will not give up)

Dave Andruczyk djandruczyk at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 10 19:46:45 EDT 2004

> I have gentoo installed as well on a server and I think what he was asking
> was
> about uninstalls.  Gentoo had (may have now) no good uninstall routine to
> uninstall all the pieces of an application so you end up with lots of cruft.

True gentoo does leave some cruft in what it calls "config_protect" dirs
(places like /etc or where config data is stored).  That's the only part about
it that I don't like (besides not checking dependancies during an uninstall).,
but it does have tools to detect when an uninstall DID break something. (run
revdep-rebuild as root, and it checks lib linking to see if you blew away a
library and need to fix your box)  debian is another distro that has  (in my
opinion) a better packaging system, and a better uninstall system (checks deps
on uninstall so it doesn't break things that gentoo doesn't do), and apt-get
makes it pretty easy to install things,  but now you can get apt for any rpm
distro as well..  But with pre-made packages there is still the chance of a
version mismatch or what not that cause the hell that we occasionaly have to go
through..

=====
Dave J. Andruczyk