Linux Laptops

Jesse Jarzynka denisesballs at thecybersource.com
Thu Sep 2 18:27:28 EDT 2004

    Hey, just wondering if anyone's has used any new laptops lately and
wanted to get some feedback on the vendors, and see how Linux played
with them. As far as our experience, seems as long as it has nVidia
graphics it plays well (With Fedora Core 2). I just noticed this one
from Office Max and seems like a pretty good deal, and would do well
with Linux. In case that link is broke from a cookie or something, here
are the specs:

Compaq Presario RS3210us Laptop Computer w/Mobile AMD Athlon XP-M 3000+
Processor: Mobile AMD Athlon XP-M processor 3000+ (1.6GHz)
Memory: 256MB DDR SDRAM (expandable to 1.3GB)
Display: 15.4" WXGA widescreen display (max. resolution 1280 x 800)
Hard drive: 60GB (4200 RPM)
Communications: Integrated 10/100BaseT ethernet LAN (RJ-45), integrated
v.90/v.92 56KB modem (RJ-11)
Wireless connectivity: 54g Integrated 802.11b/g wireless LAN
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce 4 420 Go with 32MB dedicated
Operating system: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Primary CD/DVD drive: 24x DVD/CD-RW combo drive
External ports: 3 Universal Serial Bus (USB) 2.0, 1 parallel, 1 PS/2, 1
VGA, 1 TV out, 1 RJ-11, 1 RJ-45
Dimensions: 10.96" (L) x 14.25" (W) x 1.8" (H)
Weight: 7.8 lb.
Sound: Internal JBL Pro Performance speakers

This is going for $999.98 at http://officemax.com. Any comments or
worries about this one as far as Linux goes? What would be the best
would be to buy a laptop without any o/s, as to avoid paying for
Winblows. I know HP is doing Linux laptops but those don't seem to be
out yet, and I would remove whatever was on it anyways. Anyone know of
any vendors (maybe Dell I think I heard?) selling o/s-less laptops? Any
feedback is greatly appreciated. -Jesse Jarzynka