Off-Topic, XP Reinstall

Ronald Maggio ron_maggio2004 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 20 09:57:08 EDT 2004

Hi, Ken
My best advice to you is to back up any files you need to keep, make notes on the kind of hardware you have so you know what drivers you need to install, If XP does not find them. Then fdisk the drive and remove all partitions, make one large partition and low-level the whole drive with your hdd software that came with the drive in question to write it back to zero's. Turn it off let it cool down, then use your hdd software again to repartition the drive as you please, and reinstall from scrach. Take your time and you'll get a clean install.

I'd bet the drive was not clean before you tried to do an install and it wrote a second install in the first as if you where doing a dual boot of windows. ie: installing win 2000 pro, and dual booting win 2000 server on the same partition. Sometimes windows does strange things. The only way to clean this up is to wipe the drive as I stated prior.

Good luck, let me know how you come out!

Ron Maggio:)

Kenneth Lawson <kennethlawson2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
Hello;

I know this is a linux user group but I have a windows
question/problems, and really don't know anyone who knows more them me
about windows to ask. (I live in Allegheny Country, in the country)

The question is this, I reinstalled xp last week I seem to have
everything up and going ok but I also seem to have two copies of XP on
my hd.when I boot I get a menu asking which one I want to use. I'm
using the first one. I tried the second one and it wanted to regeisitor
that copy of xp. So I backed out and restarted with the first copy. Do
I need to reinstall everything again or what? Also I apparently didn't
get the audio drivers or codecs installed because I don't have any
sound on the machine at all, other then beeps. Also my Works 2000
crashes the whole system, which never happened before.

If any of you have run into something like before and are interested
in giving me a hand I would appreciate it.

Thanks for your imput,

Ken Lawson

=====
Ken & Nancy Lawson