Hard Drive clean up

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Sat Oct 16 09:31:26 EDT 2004

One of the COOLEST things I like about Linux is the way the file system
mounts. That is to say that you could take any part of your file system
and string them across different drives or different locations!! For
example, if your hard drive is getting full, you could put part of it on
a separate hard drive, like have your /home on /dev/hdb and the rest of
your file system on /dev/hda! I have done this in the past as I have had
systems getting full and didnt want to redo everything, so I popped in a
new drive, edited my /etc/fstab file and moved files accordingly and
voila! With NFS, you could have your /home (for instance) on a different
Linux box entirely, this way if your on a LAN, whatever workstation you
sit down at, would have your exact login!
Also, keep an eye on /var/log stuff for files that grow and take space,
mine is currently at 11MB on this box. Keep an eye on /var/spool/mail
too, if you don't have root's mail going somewhere, this will accumulate
too.