More Mandrake ppc

ebenoit at hopevale.com ebenoit at hopevale.com
Wed Nov 24 12:35:23 EST 2004

Hello all,
After succesfully installing Mandrake 9.1 ppc on an Xserver G4, Mandrake 10.1
came out, so having a good experience with 9.1 I decided to run with my luck and
upgrade this computer with a larger hard drive and a newer OS ...Mandrake 10.1
ppc.  Instead of SCSI drive decided to go with an inexpensive IDE drive.

I have tripped.

I have gone through the same proceedures as 9.1 to install 10.1, all I get is a
screen saying "booting mandrakelinux ppc..." and seems to be in some kind of
loop ...the screen will dim out and then go right back to the same message.  I
have looked up using open firmware to boot to the yaboot partition on the cd
with the following command "boot cd:,\boot\yaboot" that fails with error:
"MAC-PARTS: can't find a default partition can't OPEN: cd:,\boot\yaboot"

If I were Yoda I would feel as the force was telling me it had something to with
an open firmware configuration, and that is what it has come to ...spiritual
instead of actual, because I can find no documentation anywhere to help out
..may the source be with you. LOL <--I would actually think this was funny if I
had some flying bison aviator red right now.

Happy ThanksGiving to everyone have a safe holiday,
Eric