Fedora Core 3!

Jesse Jarzynka denisesballs at thecybersource.com
Tue Nov 9 01:02:40 EST 2004

Anyone else installed Core 3 yet? Some things/problems I've notice out
of the box:

- Gnome is now officially Gnome. Looks like Gnome, with 2 taskbars, not
the usual 1 toolbar with a start menu/foot anymore.

- The kernel sources do not come installed. When I fire up Firefox for
the first time I get release notes:

In order to eliminate the redundancy inherent in providing a separate
package for the kernel source code when that source code already exists
in the kernel's .src.rpm file, Fedora Core 3 no longer includes the
kernel-source package. Users that require access to the kernel sources
can find them in the kernel .src.rpm file. To create an exploded source
tree from this file, perform the following steps (note that <version>
refers to the version specification for your currently-running kernel):

     1. Obtain the kernel-<version>.src.rpm file from one of the
        following sources:

              * The SRPMS directory on the appropriate "SRPMS" CD iso
                image

              * The FTP site where you got the kernel package

              * By running the following command:

                up2date --get-source kernel

- However, up2date doesn't work for whatever reason, probably all the
mirrors are flooded, and I can't find the kernel source rpm anywhere.
The purpose of this is because I want to install the NVIDIA driver and
it won't without the kernel sources.

- Picked all my hardware up right away. Sound works great. No more dual
ALSA/OSS in the volume control.

	So, anybody else having these issues, or find a fix yet? I wish to hell
they would include apt-get, life would be so easy, and alas the
atrpms.net site is also down! Hopefully these should iron out over the
next few weeks, -Jesse