Disk Partition Percentage

Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Sat Nov 6 12:05:50 EST 2004

Peter, I'm not clear on what you're suggesting here.  I understand the
initial partitioning you suggest, but could you elaborate on what sort
of changes you might be able to make later using fstab and or symlinks
that would actually make an operationally or performance difference
without repartitioning.

When does partitioning hurt performance?  I seem to remember you and Bob
mentioning that when I set up my system.

Also, coming from the very old days when big partitions were bad, I
still think about making each partition the size it needs to be (and no
bigger) to make backup/maintenance (such as dump/restore) easier.  Since
you and others don't seem to think that way, could you briefly touch on
how you handle reliability/recovery/backup.  Is it mostly a raid/disk
mirroring issue these days?

Joe

--
"To suppose that the eye with all its inimitable contrivances for adjusting the focus to different distances, for admitting different amounts of light, and for the correction of spherical and chromatic aberration, could have been formed by natural selection, seems, I confess, absurd in the highest degree." --Charles Darwin