RAID for pests or bugs

ebenoit at hopevale.com ebenoit at hopevale.com
Fri Nov 5 11:25:14 EST 2004

Alright, I like to experiment, so I decided to try a RAID configuration for a G4
power mac (soon to be) file server.

I have two SCSI drives:
sda has the potential of 38GB
sdb has the potential of 70GB

my dream configuration would be this:

apple_bootstrap 50mb for sda1
apple_bootstrap 50mb for sdb1
/ "root"         2GB for sda2
swap           800mb for sda3
/usr             2GB for sda4
/var             2GB for sda5
/home           30GB for sda6
/home           69GB for sdb2

When adding these sizes to a RAID configuration I create:
sda1 = md0 =  50mb            apple_bootstrap
sdb1 = md1 =  50mb            apple_bootstrap
sda2 = md2 =   2GB            / "root"
sda3 = md3 = 800mb            swap
sda4 = md4 =   2GB            /usrsda5 = md5 =   2GB            /var

sda6 = md6 =  30GB            /home
sdb2 = md6 =  69GB            /home

I believe that there is something very wrong with the way I am doing this,
because the /home directory still only shows up as 30GB. I was hoping I could
make the /home directory close to 100GB of space. Should I make the larger SCSI
hard drive 0: meaning sda = 70BG and sdb = 38GB ...I wouldn't think it would
matter, but thats why I ask.

Any shedding of really bright light ...maybe blinding light would be most welcome.

Thank you much

PS
I chose not to split the users home directories up, because our users are
sporadic with the amount of space they utilize ...alot of scale tipping would
occur.