firewall --> pmfirewall

Dave Yearke yearke at eng.buffalo.edu
Tue Nov 2 09:15:05 EST 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-02 at 08:57, Robert Meyer wrote:
> Actually, if you have a laptop, I've found that getting a wireless card (WG511)
> and a Linksys WRT54G wireless router works really well.  The wireless router
> actually runs Linux internally and is eminently loadable with new code that's
> available on the net.  The WRT54G also has four wired ports that are available.
>  I've been really happy with it.  I'm currently using Verison ADSL as my ISP.

I'm also very happy with the WRT54G. The nice thing is that Linksys (aka
Cisco) not only GPLs the source code for it, so that others can make
changes, but they are receptive to those changes, and many actually find
their way back into the Linksys code. Setup is a breeze, thanks to the
web interface, and it's really fast; works like a charm with my IBM
ThinkPad R51 (built-in 802.11g), and supports WEP, WPA, and MAC address
filtering, so you have a high degree of security and control over who
can access it. It hasn't locked up on me once, either; wish I could say
the same for my Linksys cable modem ... :-/

                      Dave Yearke, yearke at eng.buffalo.edu
                    "Things should be as simple as possible,
                      but no simpler." -- Albert Einstein