X-Window Weirdness

S. Lawton green_man at bluefrog.biz
Mon Nov 1 16:49:22 EST 2004

I attempted to change my monitor, but was unsuccessful, I think.
I don't know if it was that, or the fact that I forgot to unplug my USB
trackball device before that login.
Anyhow, when X starts displaying the log in screen, the cursor
moves to the upper right corner of the screen and freezes there.
I tried the LiLo FailSafe boot option, but the same thing happens,
and the console window is pushed to the lower right, so the upper
left corner is in the center of the screen.
I have no idea exactly what happened, or how to fix it, but I have a
Knoppix 3.3 CD that works. Can I somehow use Knoppix to get
into the Mandrake partitions and start Mandrake's X-Windows
using the Knoppix values ?
Knoppix denies me access to Mandrake's partitions, but I can get
a root console. Or could something be done from the "boot"
prompt, before X starts ?
Has anybody seen anything like this ?

AIA