laptop modems

Advent Systems adventsystems at earthlink.net
Sat May 29 00:11:08 EDT 2004

Hello All,

I joined the list about a year ago and have been building , playing,
experimenting and learning about linux since.  I have installed
different distributions on 3 boxes and now I'm installing on my laptop.
I would like to thank all the "regulars" (and not so regulars) for all
the help and information they have passed on to me and can't wait till
the day I have something useful to contribute to the group.

To the point, re: Christopher Crowell's  questions and  Cyber Source's
reply to the modem drivers issue.  I had the same problem with my laptop
(presario 2596us) and downloaded and installed the "test" version of the
driver but my connection speed is slower then ....slow.  All my Linux
desktops are fast (for 56k dialup), my laptop under winxp (dual boot)is
fast.  All is working perfectly under Linux, just very slow.  Is there a
way to tweek up the speed, w/o going to the "paid" version of the driver
(I don't mind paying but I value Cyber Source's opinions).

Thanks Again
Bob Randal
adventsystems at earthlink.net