next meeting topic

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Sun May 23 11:31:02 EDT 2004

Ok, I have a suggestion for the next meeting topic. It's not a new one,
rather one that has NEVER gotten accomplished to ANY degree. That being
ANYTHING with the kernel! I would like to see something, be it a patch,
complete installation of a new one, configuring an existing one,
whatever, but something besides just talk about, just do this, that and
it's all set. Detect some frustration here??
  Every attempt I have witnessed or tried has failed, there must be
someone on this list that can perform some kernel modifications with
success.
That being said, the reason for this is that I have downloaded the new
Fedora Core 2 the other day and began to play. I like what I see for the
most part with the new 2.6 kernel, etc., however, there are a couple of
real issues at the moment.
1. FC2's version of the 2.6 kernel does not work with the NVIDIA drivers
as there is some 4KSTACKS problem. I found this while trying to work out
why they weren't working, etc. Apparently there is a kernel patch that
can be applied while waiting for NVIDIA to come out with a driver that
does not have this problem, etc. So, see above.
This might be (stress might) why Bob Meyer was having trouble with his
NVIDIA driver on his Mandrake 10 laptop using more than 16BIT color.
2. There is a samba issue as well. Dug deep enough to find people
bitchin about it on the net with varying solutions, none that worked for me.

Anyway, as was with FC1, it took a bit to get used to the changes, etc.
But if we could finally have a meeting that could have a successful
whack at the kernel, that would be great.