XP logon to SAMBA

Richard Hubbard hubbardr at adelphia.net
Fri May 7 09:31:55 EDT 2004

The login script needs to be made with a 'Windows' style text editor and
then saved to the 'netlogon' share of the Samba machine.

As far as what is needed in it, that will depend on what you want the
script to do.  For example, if you want the user to get extra drives
mapped on that person's hard drive, or if you want a shortcut copied to
their desktop, this is where you do it.

Most basic installs don't start with anything in the logon script.  It
usually comes about after awhile when you notice specific needs for
specific users or groups of users.

As far as the command systax, etc...  This is a Windows Batch language
file which runs completely on the client, so you may need to get
familiar how to do batch programming in windows.  At the very least,
some simple commands may be what you need, for example
copy \\someserver\someshare\someshortcutfile.lnk c:\Documents and
Settings\%username%\desktop

This would copy a file (someshortcutfile.lnk) on the server 'someserver'
and share 'someshare' to the users desktop (note, this is a windows
batchfile, so %username% is the variable that holds the users login name
in windows, where the samba server uses %U.  Sorry if that is confusing)

So basically, right now don't worry about it, but keep it in your back
pocket as an easy way to solve some basic problems that may pop up.