PCI ATA/IDE card issue revisited

Timothy Domst timothy.domst at verizon.net
Tue May 4 18:20:15 EDT 2004

I have made a Frankenstein soon-to-be-Linux box that I want to use as a
firewall only.  The mobo won't recognize drives off its built-in ATA
plugs, so I got a PCI card from CompUSA.  The BIOS goes through without
finding drives, and then the PCI card BIOS comes on after and
recognizes the cd-rom and HD.  It also recognizes that there's a boot
disk in the cd-rom drive.  Then it goes Verifying DMI pool data
................   and it doesn't find the system disk.

This has been covered recently, but I have a hard time figuring out
which boot sequence to use.  I can use SCSI,C,A or CDROM,C,A or others
and I will get the two drives and boot CD to be recognized, but no
system disk later.  I used SuSE 9.0 and Mandrake 9.2 and they both do
the same thing.  It's a Gigabyte board, so the BIOS can't be so crazy
that I wouldn't be able to find a boot selection that would work.

Any ideas?