PCI IDE Card

Mark T. Valites valites at geneseo.edu
Fri Mar 26 15:09:18 EST 2004

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004, Cyber Source wrote:

> I've booted off of PCI controllers before with way older kernels than he
> has, you may have to do some noodling with Lilo or Grub but it will work
> as long as his mobo can boot to a SCSI setting in the BIOS and all
> that's needed to check that is a simple boot process.

At least 2.2.14-ish had issues with booting off a controller card - I had
an ABIT MB with 4 ide controllers & could not boot off a drive on the
higher two controllers.

If you look in the "IDE, ATA and ATAPI Block devices" section of your
kernel config under the Help for HPT36X/37X (2.4), you'll still see some
remnants of this:

The HPT366 chipset in its current form is bootable. One solution x
  x for this problem are special LILO commands for redirecting the x
  x reference to device 0x80. The other solution is to say Y to "Boot x
  x off-board chipsets first support" (CONFIG_BLK_DEV_OFFBOARD) unless x
  x your mother board has the chipset natively mounted. Regardless one x
  x should use the fore mentioned option and call at LILO or include x
  x "ide=reverse" in LILO's append-line. "

--
Mark T. Valites
Unix Systems Analyst