Fedora logoff/shutdown times and other issues

Richard Hubbard hubbardr at adelphia.net
Fri Mar 26 09:46:03 EST 2004

Being a cautious person, I recently installed Fedora Core 1 on a test
machine.

For someone already comfortable with Red Hat, I felt right at home.
However I have two issues that I wonder if someone has already seen and
addressed.

First, From a graphical login, when I try to shutdown or logoff, it
seems to be an amazingly long time before anything happens.  Does anyone
else have this issue?  Is it solvable?

Second, (No flames please) I really prefer KDE, if for no other reason
that I am used to it.  However, the graphical login allows me to select
KDE, but never seems to offer to make it a default.  Which means that if
I am in a hurry, I get gnome.  I understand that there is a text file I
can edit (.xinit or some such) but I would rather not.  Is there a
straightforward way to make it KDE all the time?

Thanks...