recover ntfs filesystem using Linux cds

Jason Lasker lasker at eng.buffalo.edu
Wed Mar 24 11:27:58 EST 2004

We have had success in recovering NTFS file systems buy connecting the "bad"
hard drive to a Linux system with the NTFS (R0) kernel drivers installed.
We then mount the NTFS file system and copy the accessible data to another
device.  Linux seems to have more success reading corrupted NTFS file
systems than Windows.

I'm sure this could be done with the CD provided its kernel has NTFS modules
loaded and access to another device for saving the data.

Jason Lasker
Senior Programmer Analyst/Systems Administrator
University at Buffalo
Science and Engineering Node Services
113 Bell Hall
Buffalo, NY 14260-2050