Types of partitions

Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Sat Mar 13 14:51:46 EST 2004

I'm sure others on the list can be more precise, but basically you find
the md5 checksum displayed on the website you downloaded from.   I's a
bunch of hex digits in human readable form.  Then you run md5sum on the
image you downloaded and compare the result to the original.  It's
around 20 or 30 characters long, so it's not too hard to do.  If it
doesn't match, you don't pass go and collect $200 - download again.
This also serves the purpose of protecting you from hacked websites.  If
you have a valid md5sum, but someone replaced the file you want with
something not so nice, you'll find out by checking the checksum instead
of the hard way.  This has actually happened on a number of commercial
and open source websites, so it's good to check whenever a checksum is
provided.

The only part I'm not sure about is whether or not you need to check the
sum after burning too.  It might not be necessary, but since it only
takes a few seconds it won't hurt to do it again.

Hope this helps.

Joe

--
"Politics is the art of preventing people from taking part in affairs which properly concern them." -- Paul Valery