Just saw this on AJB (Amercia's JobBank)

deadpoint deadpoint at adelphia.net
Thu Mar 11 20:48:49 EST 2004

san is more of a 'sea of LUN's or disks' then a 'sea of directories'. in
  fact the disk is presented to the server as if it where a single disk
drive. you then make a filesystem (or multiple) on that 'disk' as you
would an IDE drive in your home computer. SAN is hardware RAID on roids.

as dennis said the big difference between NAS and SAN is presentation of
the storage to the hosts. NAS presents as filesystem, i.e NFS and PC
Shares, where SAN persents only as disk. but if you attach SAN storage
to a linux server and export/share filesystems with samba and nfs you
have s NAS.

darin