Just saw this on AJB (Amercia's JobBank)

deadpoint deadpoint at adelphia.net
Thu Mar 11 20:31:35 EST 2004

storage area network.

san is basicly certeralized disk that you can attach multiple servers to
via a FC (fiber channel) adaptors. the storage array itself is an
extermely reliable piece of hardware, no single point of failure (2 of
every component), very fast FC drives, etc. the disk can be carved up
into blocks which can be made avialable to only those hosts that you've
defigned. multiple hosts can ever use the same filesystems if you use
cluster filesystems like XFS or AFS.

these are not cheap devices. you're looking at a starting price of about
$100K, and that doesn't include fiber switches what run $10K per 8-port
switch, and FC HBA's (host bus adapters) at $1250/card.

if anyone is looking for one of these drop me a line. my vender worked
us a great deal on a hitachi 9570 last year and he might be able to do
close for you. i'm serious!