SCSI Drives

TheCactusKid Cactus thecactuskid45 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 11 18:58:57 EST 2004

Dave Andruczyk <djandruczyk at yahoo.com> wrote:

--- TheCactusKid Cactus wrote:
> Hi y'all
> Well after reading through a little information, I think I got a plan
> here. Now tell me if I'm wrong or not. Here it goes.
>
> sda 500mb will go /swap (This is a small drive)
>
> sdb0 50mb /boot
> sdb1 200mb /root
> sdb2 3750mb /usr
>
> sdc0 2000mb /tmp
> sdc1 2000mb /usrlocal
>
> sdd0 4000mb /home
>
> sde0 2000mb /var
> sde1 2000mb /opt
>
> Am I on the right track?

Pretty close:
sdc1 should be /usr/local, not /usrlocal
sdb1 200mb /root should be instead: sdb1 200mb /
/root is "root's" home directory
/ is considered to the "root" of the filesystem (highest point) hence
many people confuse /root with /

Usually 2GB for /tmp is a little much, but extra never hurts. (I
personally use about 400MB for tmp on my system.)

Ok...Thanks..I see my errors and will change the syntax, also I may chop down the /tmp and add more to a /? is there such a thing as /storage. If I do the following.

sdb0 2gig /var  sdb1 1gig /tmp  sdb2 1gig /? (storage) maybe this sounds better. What partition name is used for a storage partition?

I also thought of the following changes.

sda /swap  sdb0 2gig /var  sdb1 1gig /tmp

sdb2 1gig /(storage ?)  sdc0 2gig /opt  sdc1 2gig /usr/local

sdd0 4gig /home  sde0 50mb /boot  sde1 200mb /

sde2 3750mb /usr

So how does this line-up sound?  sde is the newest drive and the bus ends with the cd-rom.

Well anyways it will be on a LAN and I can use other systems for additional storage.

If you have lots of space left over I also tend to create a "scratch"
parition which is useful for benchmarking, storing ISO's, using as a
staging area for making CD/DVD's or for a temp storage place if I want
to re-arrange my filesystems.

I'd also put swap on the FASTEST drive you have, as if your system
gets low on ram and starts swapping to a slow disk, performance suffers
even more so.

Well all the disks are the same speed 7200rpm, its just that the little (around 500mb) one is new and will do just fine as a swap drive I thought.

Thanks, tHecActUsKid:)

=====
Dave J. Andruczyk