Types of partitions

TheCactusKid Cactus thecactuskid45 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 10 11:21:11 EST 2004

Thanks for your added input, I see I've got a lot of reading to do. I'll keep you all posted as to the outcome. Just to let ya know, I've got nearly 17 gigs to work with. So I hope thats enough?

Thanks, tHecActUsKid:)

Dennis Ruzeski <dennisr at corp.kanoodle.com> wrote:
Cyber Source is right- This topic is a heated controversy amongst sys admins. The bottom line is that there is no 'right' way to partition your drive (assuming that you leave enough room for everything.

my home system layout is like this-

/boot - 100M
/ - 7G
1024 swap
/home - rest of disk.

I made a separate home partition for 2 reasons- 1 is that I now have a partition that I can keep safe while I reinstall my OS (which I do frequently for testing and such). and 2 is that I can format the partition with different options as far as block size, journaling options, and size reserved for root for performance reasons.

There's other reasons to have separate partitions-
For example- I don't mount the /boot partition by default- There's no real need. I mount it to install a new kernel or mess with the boot loader options.
System backups can be easier. At my workplace we do backups with dd and ssh and it makes doing a whole partition easy.
Also, having certain data that doesn't change (say a partition with a large media collection) can be mounted read only to keep it somewhat safer from accidental deletion.
Finally, some places have special needs as far as logging- At work we have a 25G var partition for the tremendously huge apache logs we generate.

I hope this clears some things up--

--Dennis