Types of partitions

TheCactusKid Cactus thecactuskid45 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 10 10:59:41 EST 2004

Thanks, I though I was on the right path, and your info is much appreciated.

tHecActUsKid:)

Cyber Source <peter at thecybersource.com> wrote:
under a server class partitioning scheme, some of the 1st level directories under root and including root are separate, like, /var /home /usr /boot etc. The cool part of this is that you can backup individual based on partitions and even cooler, you can with some e2labeling and editing of the /etc/fstab file, slap new drives in and out based on there respective partitions, i.e. /home. The possibilities can get kinda crazy, I just wanted to pop in on this one. I'm sure you'll have plenty on the soap box about this one too!

TheCactusKid Cactus wrote:
Hi y'all,
I've got a question. Now I read that there's a /boot, /root, /swap, /user/local & or /user, (don't really understand the difference?) and /home. Are there any others I should know about in a typical installation or is this it? What would be the difference between.... in the line-up that is....from a Workstation and Server class install. (as far as types of partitions) What would be the line-up of either? I know I'm not setting up a server class system but for the heck of it what would be the line-up? Thanks for all the help.

tHecActUsKid:)