Adelphia Powerlink

vlok stone vlokstone at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 9 16:18:12 EST 2004

for some reason it appears your router will not renew
it's public ip. the usual renegotiation cycle for
public ip's used to be 7 hours . that may have
changed. you can check the modem logs by going to
192.168.1.100. this is the modems' web interface for
most cable modems. if you have an idea when this is
happening you should see 4 things happen ( known as
DORA )
1. dhcp DISCOVER
2. dhcp OFFER
3. dhcp REQUEST
4. dhcp ACKNOWLEDGE
a failure at any point will cause the problem.
adelphia does not track MAC addresses beyond the
router. it can't. the router will place it's ip & mac
( or the spoofed MAC) on a packet and forward it. so i
can't see how changing the MAC address will help (
although stranger things have happened ). getting a
new  modem from them will be difficult if, when a
regular pc is attached, you're able to keep an ip. you
could always lie and say a regular pc can't keep it
either.
they don't want to encourage people to swap out their
modem everytime they have an issue.
good luck.