Linux

TheCactusKid Cactus thecactuskid45 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 8 16:08:29 EST 2004

I was looking for a no brainer install distro anyways. So I'm going with Mandrake. I don't understand all those this/that stuff. y'all need to remember that there's a lot of newbies out there that don't have the where with all's to hit the floor running as an Sys Admin or Code Worrier. So thanks for sharing anyways.

Thanks, tHecActUsKid:)

vlok stone <vlokstone at yahoo.com> wrote:
I stand corrected. A 1000ft overview. Anything on
topic? Corrections are fine, but in light of
completeness, give some advice/opinion also. Most have
heard of apt-get, hardly anyone knows of dpkg/dselect
or synaptic ( at least that the feeling I got from the
last meeting). If you have preferences and some
insight don't be afraid to share those.

--- "Mark T. Valites" wrote:
> Sorry for corrections, but not all that info is
> completely correct.
>
> On Mon, 8 Mar 2004, vlok stone wrote:
>
> > 3.Debian (many variant =
> xandros,lindows,mepis,etc...)
> > apt-get based
>
> dpkg based, apt is just a front end
> > 5.Slackware dpkg based
>
> tgz based - semi-package like - been a while since
> I've done slack.

> --
> Mark T. Valites
> Unix Systems Analyst