Mutt,ProcMail,Fetchmail and Sendmail?

Dennis Ruzeski dennisr at corp.kanoodle.com
Mon Mar 8 09:24:37 EST 2004

Hi Frank--

Here's what you'll need-

To get your mail, you'll need a pop client. That would be fetchmail. It's a great program that will hit your pop server and put the email in your local Linux mailbox. It's very configurable and easy to use.

For sending email, you need an SMTP MTA (Mail Transport Agent). Procmail or Sendmail would be good choices. Sendmail is the age-old standard, but procmail is IMHO, a great alternative. Whichever you choose, it will have to pretend to be sending mail as your_name at your_domain.com. Otherwise mail will be returned as coming from an unknown host. It sounds like you'll be using this on a desktop machine, but it's still very important to secure your MTA for no-relay and make sure you're using an up to date version.

Hope this helps!

--Dennis