USB keyboard/mouse and KVM

Timothy Domst timothy.domst at verizon.net
Sat Jun 26 22:11:29 EDT 2004

I am using SuSE and I finally got my second box up and running.  I put
a very old card in it because I want to use it only for a router, and
maybe DNS.  I can start installing using my Apple USB keyboard and
mouse through the KVM switch, but when SuSE gets to where I need to
select my time zone and format my hard drive and pick what modules I
want, it won't let me use the keyboard or mouse.  This also happens to
my soon-to-be-server box, it has an evenly centered screen when setting
up and the keyboard and mouse work but then after it asks for the
specific monitor and keyboard and mouse the mouse sticks in the bottom
left corner and I have to play with the monitor settings forever, when
they were fine before.  Why can't I just use whatever standard modules
it was using when it worked?

The USB mouse and keyboard and monitor work fine with the BIOS screens
on the motherboard, is the fact that Linux is taking over control of
all this stuff that makes it screwed up?  Does Linux use info from the
BIOS during installation, then abandon this info for a module after
it's installed?