Debian Question

JJ Neff jjneff at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 25 08:28:12 EDT 2004

As a dedicated Debian user for many years I have to agree 100% with the general
tone of this.  Do a minimal install just to get networking services then change
the apt.conf file as suggested then apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade.

Even over dial-up (where I began using debian) I do it late at night and just
let it go (or bring the PC to where you can "borrow" some broadband - work,
someone else's house, etc..  Then since you are already at "testing" every
package you grab fom that point will be the testing version.

NOTE:  PLease oh please do not change to Sarge or Unstable unless you want you
machine to BREAK.  This is unstable for a reason and WILL break!  Testing
bridges that gap for desktop users who want newer stuff.  Stable "Will Not
Crash (tm)" but is intended for Servers etal that need to be up and don't care
about running NWN or newest media player software.  If there is a package that
is ONLY in unstable chances are that someone in the user group has made a .deb
for testing or stable that while not guaranteed will work.  Just search for
alternate apt-get sources.  The best part is most of the alternate sites can
simply be added to apt.conf and apt-get'sd like any other package!!!  (cool to
me)  Stragne how it works just like URPMI and redhats new apt-get (oh was that
a hidden elbow in the ribs :-)