System with 2 NICS

JJ Neff jjneff at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 4 11:33:57 EDT 2004

Real World Scenario

We put hundreds of serverson two networks (sometimes three) One for production
data (seen by users).

2nd for Tape backup data, also may have Lights out boards and other non-user
stuff on second network.

3rd (sometimes) Clustering - cross over or regular mini-hubbed networks for
attaching nics dedicated to things like Domino Server clustering etc.

These should never have to talk to one another and can thus be any private IP
subnet scheme, heck two seperated cluster networks can all be the same
192.168.0.X subnet as long as they are seperate.

If you want all network traffic to use a different 'network'  you have to add a
second NIC (or card with two ports) and add the second port to your "backup"
network.

Just some ideas.

JJN