802.11G cards, reprise!

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 1 14:12:59 EDT 2004

I got a Netgear WG511 card last week (I mentioned trying to get one for myself
for my birthday) and have been noodling around trying to get it to work.  Of
course, I had problems and, for some odd reason, I never checked my log files
to see what was happening.  Needless to say, I was getting annoyed with it.
The lights would never wink and I couldn't get either Kismet or Prismstumbler
to talk to it.  Ran lots of checks on things, looked for the error messages I
was getting, etc. and still no joy.

So, today, I decide to take a peek in the ole' messages file and what do I see?
 Lots of complaints about 'request_firmware() failed for isl3890'.  Also 'eth1:
could not upload firmware ('isl3890')'.  Hmmm... fishy...  I poked around for
about 12 seconds on google and found out that you have to have the firmware for
the card in /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/isl3890.  Downloaded the file and stuffed
it in that location and what do you know?!  Diagnostics are working and the
card winks and blinks.  Prismstumbler works fine, although I haven't found
anything, yet.  Kismet has a problem but I suspect that it's a kismet
configuration issue.  It says that it can't go to channel 6 but checks of the
card say that it is on 6 and it has lotta channels (like 48 of them).

So, the moral of the story, kids?  CHECK YOUR *&^%$&!! logs first!

You start getting old and you forget stupid stuff like this...

Cheers!

Bob