Verizon Fios (Fiber-to-the-Premises) Internet (Cheap??) plus other questions

Dave Andruczyk djandruczyk at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 29 09:30:43 EDT 2004

> I have a second, working, 1.13GHz Linux box now that I am going to use
> with 10/100 NIC cards as a router.  Will my speed be any better
> compared to what I get with my Linksys router?  I mean can the little
> router be a bottleneck?

Doubtful.  My last router was a P100 with dual 100mbit nics and it was no
faster traffic wise than my D-link DP713 Router/AP/firewall/printserver

> How much faster is my server going to be if I leave XWindows out of the
> kernel?  Does it matter for a little hobby server like mine, should I
> just leave XWindows in for easy configuration?  I can sftp and ssh into
> my Linux server from my Mac so I really don't need much after I learn
> all the config files.

Xwindows is NOT in the kernel. Installing it is no problem, it just eats disk
space,  for security reasons do NOT have it startup X11 on boot (runlevel 5 on
most distros).  The less things you have running that keep ports open the less
likely you are going to have a break-in.  As always on a router/fw only the
bare necessities should be running, ssh mainly,  but if you want to trick most
out there, set it up to run at a different port number so that doesn't show up
on a typical fast network scan. (setting the default listen port is in
/etc/sshd/sshd_config.)  connecting to it requires an additional arg (-p
portnum)

=====
Dave J. Andruczyk