Senator wants to ban P2P networks

Timothy J. Finucane speljamr at speljamr.com
Mon Jul 26 12:02:09 EDT 2004

This INDUCE Act is very bad legislation. It is worded in such a way as
to make just about any manufacturer of copying devices (including VCRs,
TIVO, iPOD, etc...) liable for someone elses illegal act. Basically they
are trying to overturn an old case in which SONY won the ability to
create VCRs. That decision said that as long as the device had enough
legitimate uses, copyright law could not be used to ban the device,
orsomething along those lines (I'm not a lawyer). In the end legislation
like this does not take into consideration the careful balancing act
that our founding fathers intended copyright and patent law to be.

For my own comments on this please read my blog at
http://www.speljamr.com/index.php?&m=20040708

For further info I suggest following Lawrence Lessig's blog at
http://www.lessig.org/blog/

If you are really ambitious I strongly suggest you read Lawrence
Lessig's books to get a real understanding of why this kind of control
is bad for freedom and innovation.

Yes, Bit Torrent is peer to peer, and think of all the legitimate uses
this technology has. It isn't illegal to use Bit Torrent to get Linux
ISOs for example.

And for God's sake everyone write to their representatives so we can at
least say we did something about this.

Tim

--
“Those who would trade liberty in exchange for some degree of security
end up with neither liberty, nor security.”    —Benjamin Franklin