Sound File Format Q

David Mangani dmangani at adelphia.net
Sat Jul 24 19:13:47 EDT 2004

Anthony J. Mirabella wrote:

>I'm not sure if mplayer has input plugins for all those files, but if it does you can use `mplayer -ao pcm <filename> > file.wav` to get wav files.
>
>On 18:35 Sat 24 Jul     , David Mangani wrote:
>

>>Hi all,
>>
>>   I do some work with various audio files in a variety of formats. I
>>use spc, it, midi, and mod files most of the time. I use xmms with
>>various input plugins to listen to these files, but I'd like to know if
>>there might be a way to convert them to wav files to be burned to cds. I
>>also use Audacity audio editor for certain tasks. Unfortunately this app
>>will not do the conversion either. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Dave

Thank you both for the replys, I do have Mplayer, however I am not that
familiar with it as I have only used it to watch dvd's. I did some
reading about Sox, however it wasn't clear to me that it supported all
the formats I use. Having said that, I did not d'load it and try it. I
am very interested in the Wav output plugin for xmms. I did not even
know xmms would output files at all for burning/recording. I will check
into that first I think.

Thanks again.
Dave