Verizon Fios (Fiber-to-the-Premises) Internet (Cheap??)

Tom McKim mckimt at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 20 14:30:55 EDT 2004

Here's my 2 cents.

By providing this innovation, what will it do to
current DSL/Cable Modems?

If Verizon can provide a 2MB (I assume symmetrical)
connection for $35 what will it do to DSL and Cable
prices. Why would anyone pay the $50/month for Time
Warner/Adelphia, when one can get a better and faster
connection for less money?

Maybe this will actually make the 56 K connections
extinct.  If DSL and Cable stay around they'll have to
drop in price to say $20/month.  Then people will no
longer associate Broadband connections as a Premium
service and finally make the jump to Broadband.

As of now, I can see no need of actually using a 2MB
connection, but I guarantee I'll be the first in line
when it comes to Buffalo so I can say goodbye to
Adelphia tight grip.

Lastly, I vividly remember in 1999 when asked by my VP
of operations "Is a 4 GB Hard Drive sufficient" and I
thought we'd never need that much capacitly. Boy was I
wrong..

http://www.cbc.ca/story/science/national/2004/07/16/anik040716.html.
> Granted, it's a bit more expensive, but that may
> change as more
> companies put up similar satellites.
>
> The more competition and innovation, the better.
>
> Tim
>
> On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 01:54, Ronald Maggio wrote:
> > Over kill, unless your running a business big time
> and really need the
> > bandwidth and the speed it gives you, or are into
> interactive gaming
> > over the Internet in a big way!
> >
> > I have ADSL through Verizon at $34.95 a month, and
> its fast enough for
> > the average user. ie: Student, Home to mid size
> Business, and so on.
> >
> > Ron

=====
Tom McKim, MCSE