new to nflug

dvmail at texas.net dvmail at texas.net
Tue Jul 13 00:42:27 EDT 2004

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 13:02:25 -0400
"Joshua R. Altemoos" <joshua at gnu-linux.net> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> Welcome man. I use slackware9.1 i plan to upgrade to 10 asap. Just FYI
> next meeting is not untill September because of the summer noone ussaly
> shows up so i hope you can understand =D

 Thanks. Hopefully there'll be some kind of get-together going on
before then. I remember early on talking to a Slack geek about dependency issues
with Red Hat, and he said he didn't have that problem with Slackware. Using
apt-get with Red Hat, and now thanks to Red Hat stopping support of RHL9, I've
gone to using livda.org/fedora.us apt-get and am trying that for a while. I
tried Fedora core2, and it was purty, but didn't support firewire. DOHH! So, I
went back to RHL9.

 Funny story about how I got into Linux in the first place... I would visit a
young woman and her Dad and I would get into talking computers, and I would cry
about MS products, and he would say "I don't have that problem with Linux."
hehe. Needless to say, I tried it and liked it enough to pursue Linux. Instead
of the summertime blues, i got the dial-up modem blues, <bust out the harmonica
mode> I got a modem, she won't go fast like the way I used to with cable modem
<riff> I got a modem, don't you do what your big sister did <riff>...

take it easy, man
Daniel

===
> Greetings !!!
> We have several Fedora users in the list, so if you've questions, ask away.
> Also RedHat, Mandrake, Debian, Slack, Gentoo, maybe even a SUSE user or two.
>
> I dabbled with Knoppix v3.0 this winter, and really liked it , but got
> stuck trying to save my configuration to the HD for the next reboot.
> The default resolution of 640x480 really PO'ed me, and editting configs
> in Vim was a pain.
> I was on a LIVE CD kick, and thought it was a great way to learn,
> because you can't hurt anything - all partions default to RO.
> I think it was the only  one of about 5 or 6 I tried that recognized
> everything - Klaus Knopper  should be sainted.
> Do you run Knoppix from a complete HD install, or from the CD, laptop or
> desktop ?.
> * green_man
> ** on **Thunderbird 0.4*

 Thanks. Knoppix has undergone a lot of changes recently. I don't know about
being sainted, but Klaus probably has lots of people offering to buy him beers,
if he's indeed old enough to drink ;-)

When I was running a Nvidia 5200 series video card, I'd have to specify
framebuffer settings, and the way to do this is now simplified, i.e.
at startup just type something like...
knoppix fb1024x768

I've done a hard drive install with Knoppix in the past. I haven't tried a
hdinstall with the latest v3.4-2004-05-17 release though... I get the impression
that these tasks relating to hd setup and configuration are easier. it seems
that you can set it up Knoppix now to use a persistent home directory, or do a
hard drive install while Knoppix is running, though I haven't tried it yet.

I've run it on my old desktop and my laptop, and have tried to get the people
running the free internet place on Main Street to use it, but they haven't
switch to it, they use MS products currently.

have fun,
Daniel