edonkey2000 setup

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Sun Jul 11 12:36:38 EDT 2004

ok, Take these steps. I have it on a dial up at the moment downloading a
63mb file, working great.

1. Download the core from
http://ed2k-gtk-gui.sourceforge.net/core.shtml. Grab the Overnet Core v51.2.
2. Download the gui from
http://ed2k-gtk-gui.sourceforge.net/download.shtml. Grab the rpm for
RedHat/Fedora. (1st one on the page)
3. Untar the core.
4. Install the rpm.
5. Fire up the gui with ed2k_gui from command prompt as a user (you can
make a launcher later if you want.
6. The first page you will see will look for the core's location, click
the ... to browse to the location where you untarred the core and select
the core binary from there.
7. Give it a user name and password, can be anything.
8. Click spawn core and after it shows that the core is running, click go.
9. From the settings on the options tab (then gui 1 tab on left), i
usually select to, auto spawn core, auto-connect to core, i hate the
color green and select the orbit theme. (they wont take effect until you
restart the gui).
10. You will need to have ports 4662 and 4663 open if you have a firewall.
11. Give it about 5 minutes to find servers, this will be done
automatically when you use the Overnet core like you are. When you see
the amount of users showing on the top and the number of servers, then
you can start searching for stuff.
12. There is all sorts of ways you can search for stuff but the easiest
is to put the search text in the bar at the top and hit enter, click the
search tab button and see what it's found.
13. Making sure that the file it's found shows availability (select the
ones with most for best results), double click on the file and it should
start the download process.
14. click on the downloads tab to monitor the download, it will take a
few minutes to actually start downloading.

That should do it, have fun!