FAT32, NFS and Knoppix2

Greg Neumann dadneumann at adelphia.net
Tue Jul 6 02:48:21 EDT 2004

If she paid $1000 per program, it's probably a safe bet it won't run
under Linux, hmmm?
Because XP is M$'s first attempt at real multiuser on a computer for the
home market, the directory sturcture has changed. All the previou posts
give you a good idea where to start looking:
c:\documents and settings\$USERNAME\My Doucments
I hope the files she wants are save files. Config files and ini files
probably won't transfer very well, they never did for me, anyway. And
don't use any micorsoft wizards to update or upgrade or move the
contents of the drive to XP. I can't remember it now, but I tried it
back awhile ago w/ an old hd, and I got no executables and no config
files. Mostly empty folders w/ names as I had them under Win98. The
logic appears to avoid tech-support calls by not moving anything that
could be an executable to XP, therefore, no problems w/ trying to run
it. A good bet would be to carefully record the preference/option/custom
settings for all programs on paper (screen print?) and reinstall fresh
when XP is installed. Also, while it's not a good idea to read/write
NTFS partitions under Linux, XP suffers some noticable performance hits
running from FAT32 drives. So, it's best to install XP to an NTFS drive.
Install XP to a new drive, NTFS, and then put the Win98 in as a slave.
That way you don't lose anything on the original drive. But, again ...
the tech support at Dell will take a very dim view to opening the case.
Heck, they may take a dim view of major changes to the software setup!
FWIW,
Greg