FAT32, NFS and Knoppix2

Scott Lawton green_man at bluefrog.biz
Mon Jul 5 15:58:40 EDT 2004

AAAARGH !!!!
SMTP grief - This was supposedly sent last week, but I've no
idea  to where.
For some reason none of my mailers would transmit my SMTP
password to my ISP.

Anyhow, here it is again !

On 06/24/04 7:47 PM, Cyber Source wrote:

  > thanks for trying Scott
  >
  > Scott Lawton wrote:
  >
  >> I have a friend who will be getting a new computer soon.
Her Win 98
  >> box is going to hell - apparently big time MoBo problems.
  >> The new machine will run Windows Xtreme Prejudice [XP]
like all the
  >> other computers in her home and graphic design business.
  >> She wants a Dell; I told her about CyberSource, but she
still wants a
  >> Dell - go figure.
  >>
  >> She wants the files in My Docs and certain
subdirectories of Prog
  >> Files copied  to the HD of the new box, if possible .
  >> The 98 HD is FAT32, but I think that XP uses NTFS, and
NTFS doesn't
  >> seem to interface well with much else [my impression].
  >>
  >> My question is this - Could I mount the old  drive in
the machine as
  >> slave, and boot with Knoppix to copy the aforementioned
files to  an
  >> XP partition on the master, then have them recognized on
the next XP
  >> boot ?
  >>
  >> Once the needed files are copied, then the slave will be
able to be
  >> reformatted to XP partitions.

Thanks for all the replies, everybody!

I know a lot of tricks for the Win 9x's because I've been
using them
since the 486/dx66 days, but in my one real exposure to
WinXP, I
couldn't even *FIND* My Documents - it's not in C:/ anymore.

Greg raised a valid point about the tech support/warranty
issue, so I'm
going to make the pitch again about "locally purchased, locally
serviced" equipment.
Last year I bought two USB memory keys from Dell, because
the price was
good, but when they wouldn't work as advertised on my
machine and I
called the tech line, because I don't have a Dell computer,
I had to
purchase a customer support plan for an additional $48 -
what a racket !
After 4 more calls and driver downloads, I still couldn't
get them to be
recognized, so I sold them.

She really doesn't need a whole new computer, as I
understand the
situation. Her brother in SC says from the symptoms that the
BIOS/EEPROM
is failing.
What I think she needs is a new motherboard, new faster
processor chip,
more RAM, and a new larger HD to house the OS. I figure she
can probably
get that and the file copying done in the bargain for about
what the
tower system  and shipping from Dell will cost, then I won't
have to
spend an evening doing her a favor trying to figure out
WinXP for a 12
pack of Irish Amber. ;-)
Some of the software she runs costs about a thousand dollars
a program,
so I'm not anxious to make a mistake. This is different than
wiping all
the AOL crap and installing Netscape for her.

--
hardware: n, the part of a computer that can be kicked.

software: n, the part of a computer that causes hardware to
be kicked.

Scott
Mozilla 1.0 mail on Windows 98 SE