needed newbie info

TheCactusKid Cactus thecactuskid45 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 23 08:08:16 EST 2004

Hi you'all:)

Well fellas, and Ladies if there are any reading this list:)
I'm about to embark on a new realm of adventure. I'm about to install Linux on one of my boxes. Now I've joined a few lists asking question here and there before venturing to the land of Linux.

(1) I was wondering what sources of information I should read. Suggested by you'all on how to set up the system after an installation. What would you configure and why? Now keep in mind, this is all Greek to me!

Ok here it goes, I have a Pentium box with an Intel chip-set, a 17in monitor, and the following hardware that as I've read is ok with Linux, I think. The system also has an EIDE CD-RW, Video is nVidia, but the sound is built into the motherboard, NIC 10B-T, (4) SCSI-2 68pin HDD's, (one set to run windows nt server 4.0, the other set to run linux) (main drive partitioned for os and apps, the second to be set up with swap/storage partitions for windows nt server) Will an installation of linux be a pain or not knowing the systems hardware configuration.

(2) Can I set up the HDD's the same way with RedHat? Any advice?

Thanks, cAcTUsKId:)