Routers, Switchers, and all that stuff

Joshua R. Altemoos joshua at gnu-linux.net
Wed Jan 21 16:49:41 EST 2004

well i would not suggest dlink i have a dlhnk 4 port router and it lagged
me alot. From what i seen with linksys that is the best bet.

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, Robert F. Stockdale IV wrote:

Tom McKim wrote:

>My 2 cents.
>
>For Pracicality I'd get a small router.  For fun I'd
>go with the Old PC running a Linux Distro.  Linksys
>has some good Routers, and you can't go wrong with a
>Linksys
>
>I have a SMC Barricade at Home that works Great.
>It has 4 Ports, Built in Print Server, and a RS232
>Port for a fail-over modem connection.  It has a built
>in Firewall.
>
>Just remember to change the Default Passwords.
>
>- Tom McKim
>
>--- TheCactusKid Cactus <thecactuskid45 at yahoo.com>
>wrote:
>

>>Mark Musone <mmusone at shatterit.com> wrote:
>>
>>v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}o\:*
>>{behavior:url(#default#VML);}w\:*
>>{behavior:url(#default#VML);}.shape
>>{behavior:url(#default#VML);}
>>for home use, I’m a big fan of linksys..
>>

>>yes, you can do more stuff with a linux box, but it
>>all depends on just what you need to do. one thing
>>to keep in mind is the cost. you can get a dsl
>>router box for like $20 nowdays, so it’s much
>>cheaper than even an old pc.and most importantly,
>>I’m assuming you are going to have it on 24/7

>>a typical PC will cost you about $25/month for
>>power.
>>
>>a small router box will cost about $5/month for
>>power.
>>

>>-Mark
>>

>> Thanks Mark, and thanks to all who gave
>>suggestions. I think Mark is right. If I where to
>>use an old PC as a router it would mean a high power
>>cost, and a lot of farting around building and
>>setting it up. All I wanted is little all inclusive
>>device for a reasonable sum. Easy to set up, and
>>that has a small footprint in the office. As I see
>>the going consensus is a Linksys router, I will try
>>that route. Thanks again, and I'll keep you'all
>>posted as to my endeavor.
>>

>> cAcTUsKId:)

I must disagree that you can't go wrong with a Linksys. I have one with
a built in print server. The print server never worked. Routing worked
ok but so does the cheep $19.95 CompUSA 8 port I bought 3 years ago. All
that it needed was a firmware upgrade and it works flawlessly. I have an
8 port Linksys switch and a D-Link wireless AP/router. In the future
I'll put my money on D-Link before Linksys. I have 5 workstations, 1
server and 3 notebooks using this network. The notebooks use the
wireless D-Link. Occasionally I have to reset the CompUSA router but
only when Adelphia resets my IP address.
Bob