Routers, Switchers, and all that stuff

TheCactusKid Cactus thecactuskid45 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 20 13:16:08 EST 2004

Tom McKim <mckimt at yahoo.com> wrote:
My 2 cents.

For Pracicality I'd get a small router. For fun I'd
go with the Old PC running a Linux Distro. Linksys
has some good Routers, and you can't go wrong with a
Linksys

I have a SMC Barricade at Home that works Great.
It has 4 Ports, Built in Print Server, and a RS232
Port for a fail-over modem connection. It has a built
in Firewall.

A friend loaned me his SMC Barricade Model SMC7004ABR, but I can't get it to work. I followed the manual and no luck! It did not see the DSL Modem, so it might be a dud. There is no install software with this sucker. Just instructions from the manual via pdf files I downloaded from SMC. The only software I downloaded was for the printserver and firmware. No drivers, No interface software, No kidding! I followed along and set all the manual stated, but could not get it to link up with the modem. So I could click on the DSL Dialer and connect up. I was going to get one box to connect up and set setting on the rest to share the connection. But to no such luck. Any advice?

cAcTUsKId:)

Just remember to change the Default Passwords.

- Tom McKim