Sparcstation 5

David M Rosonowski rosonowski at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 18 16:44:48 EST 2004

Well, according to the boot, it's running SunOS v5.7.
It's one of the higher end ones, so it's got the
170mhz CPU and 32MB RAM.

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004, David M Rosonowski wrote:

> Well, I've finally managed to procure a keyboard
(and in near-mint
> condition, too) for this thing. Now, it's got
Solaris installed on that,
> and I'd like to play with that, but I'm without a
username or password.

Your best bet is to get a Solaris install cd. I'm
guessing you probably
don't have one. If you can wait until I return to work
from knee surgery,
I'm sure I could throw an iso up somewhere. Someone
else may be able to
help you out in the meantime. (Let us know the OS
version - I don't know
if you can boot one install cd to root another
version). Assuming you get
an install cd, all you have to do is boot off it in
single user mode,
mount the disk, and edit the shadow file. I can post
the details, or you
can google for further instructions.

> Failing that, what's my best bet for getting
something
> loaded on here?

A fresh install might not be a bad option even if you
can reset the root
passwd.

As for other OSs, I'd still stay away from linux with
that processor. I
have no idea what the BSDs have in the way of support
for it. Other than
that, I'm not sure what common OSs are left.

Since this is your first sparc, you can always hit
stop-a as it initially
boots to play around the in the PROM until you get an
OS on there.

Good luck,
-Mark

--