Loop Back

green_man green_man at bluefrog.biz
Fri Jan 16 16:13:41 EST 2004

green_man wrote, On 01/12/04 9:29 PM:

> I have been playing with PhatLinux 3.3, which is a loopback linux that
> runs inside Windows/DOS.
> I'm not sure how it works, but I think it exists entirely in RAM,
> although it boots from the HD.
> I boot to a DOS prompt, cd to the proper directory, and run the batch
> file that starts Phat Linux.
> Linux begins, does file checking or whatever, then when I should have
> a login screen, I get this error:
>
> Init: Id "x" respawning too fast; disabled for 5 min.
>
> It's always done this; I am still able to login as root.
> How do I correct this error ?
>
> Unfortunately,this weekend I lost power while it was running.
> I had bunch of things running: File Manager, Text editor, Netscape
> mail and browser, modem, etc.
> When the electricity came back, I restarted it to see what happened ,
> but  Xwindows will not run.
> Some kind of error about Fixed Font -1 flashed by, then the above
> message again.
> I was able to login and get a dmsg output to a text file [below]. It
> means nothing to me, except for the warning:
>
> EXT2-fs warning: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck is recommended
>
> Which file do I need to run e2fsck on, and how do I do so, as *there
> is NO DOCUMENTATION whatsoever* included in the installation.

PHAT LINUX Partition Info

/dev/loop7 / ext2 defaults
none /dev/pts devpts mode=0622
/dev/hda1 /dos vfat defaults,loop
/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto user,noauto,nosuid,exec,nodev,ro
/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto synch,user,noauto,nosuid,nodev,unhide
none /proc proc defaults
/initrd/dos/phat/swapfile swap swap defaults

 From this I gather that my root partition is actually /dev/loop7.
So I should run e2fsck -V  /dev/loop7, and not on any of the files in
/initrd/dos, even though that's where they actually reside.

Is this correct ?

--

* green_man
** on **Thunderbird 0.4*