Sparcstation 5

Dave Andruczyk djandruczyk at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 9 12:08:16 EST 2004

--- David M Rosonowski <rosonowski at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Awesome. This is the first chance I've had to really
> play around with some non x-86 hardware.

The sparcstation 5 is a nice box for linux, but beware its not a
speed demon by any stretch (85-110 MHZ processor)  Good for a
firewall (if you get one with dual nics) or a simple fileserver.
I ran an old sparc5 pizzabox with Linux as a samba printserver
for about 50 printers and it also ran MRTG on about 30 devices,
it kept the box busy but it never ever crashed. (this was in
1997 as well)

An Ultra5 on the other hand is a different story.. Still a worthy
piece of hardware, as sparc MHZ != Intel MHZ  in terms of
performance at all...

A compile from scratch distro like Gentoo would take ages
to compile on a sparcstation5, wouldn't be too bad(but does take
significant time on an Ultra series.)

=====
Dave J. Andruczyk