Mozilla & java

peter pvant67 at wnyip.net
Sat Jan 3 14:12:13 EST 2004

Joe wrote:
> I just got the current jre for Linux from Sun
>
> j2re-1_4_2_03-linux-i586.rpm
>

> and installed it.  I then symlinked:
>
> libjavaplugin_oji.so ->
> /usr/java/j2re1.4.2_03/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so*
>
> in /usr/lib/mozilla-1.5/plugins
>
> After I did this, when I start mozilla, the hourglass spins for a while
> and then mozilla goes away.  As soon as I get rid of the symlink,
> mozilla works again.
>
> Any ideas what's wrong or how to fix it?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Joe

  I had the same thing happen and "fixed" it but my approach was
probably kinda brutal, not elegant.

Its a permissions/ownership problem, I think. I did:

chown -R pete: /usr/java

and chgrp -R pete /usr/java

An alternative would be to setup a ~/usr dir in your account and install
the java to there. Does anyone know another way?
--
"Truly, if Te is strong in one, all one needs to do is sit on one's ass,
and the corpse of one's enemy shall be carried past shortly."