small network

Advent Systems adventsystems at verizon.net
Fri Dec 31 20:19:27 EST 2004

Dave,
    When you say:

If you have a Linux only network,  NFS is simplest, if you have a mixed
windows/Linux then samba is probably the better route, as there isn't' a decent
FREE NFS client for windows that works worth a damn.

Do you mean I would have to remove windows completely from the machines on the network?  I could not do that with all the boxes, but if NFS is MUCH simpler then Samba I could take one of the machines off the network and use it to run its windows programs stand-alone.  So I guess the question is how much simpler or better is NFS compared to Samba?

Regarding:

depends on what you want to do. If all the stuff that you want accessible by
the other machines is located on 1 box, then make that one hte serve,  if all
the machines have stuff that the others need to get to,  then they should all
be setup to serve. (think it out,  sometimes sketching it out on a paper ahead
of time helps, and consistently implementing it across the machines makes it
easier to troubleshoot and manage later..)

Are there any benefits to making one box the dedicated server?  It would
be far nicer for me if all my machines could share files amongst themselves.

Thanks,
Bob Randal