Volume control issue

Jesse Jarzynka denisesballs at thecybersource.com
Tue Dec 14 21:53:29 EST 2004

frank at mogosystems.com wrote:

>My volume control does not save the settings I put it at. As a result of this, I
>have to open volume control and unmute and raise volume on anything I want to
>listen to. What file do I need to alter to keep the settings intact.

Sounds like Core 3. There's a lot of new kernel things such as you can't
run cdrecord as setuid root anymore, but what you're referring to is
alsactl. Set your volumes, and as root run "alsactl store". Then in your
rc.local put "alsactl restore". Apparently you can't store volumes as a
user, but you can restore them.

>Mplayer can see /mnt but it does not see /mnt/cdrom.

Also with Core 3 and the new HAL, there is no /mnt/cdrom anymore. Input
devices are now under /media.

>Any ideas how to resolve
>this?  Why can't I play .wmv in mplayer? It's ridiculous, I know. One brother
>sends me .mpg and the other sends .wmv.

Windows Media has just come out with a new codec, I believe wmv 9 or
something. Old wmv's play fine, but anything using their new codec won't
play until they come out with an encoding for it. I saw someone did it
online, you can look if you want. Good luck. -Jesse