missing mail

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 7 03:11:00 EST 2004

These questions keep coming up.  I suppose an explaination about mass mailing
and mail queues might be in order.

The way that most mass mailing software works (majordomo, mailman, etc.) is
that for each message that needs to be sent, it calls the system's Email
sending program for each address in the list.  If there is anything that keeps
the message from being delivered to a particular address, such as temporary DNS
failure, too many concurrent email processes, network bandwidth issues or
remote server connection issues, the message gets dumped into a queue and left.

Periodically, the email system will cruise through the queue and try to send
the messages that are in it.  The messages are still subject to the same
problems that caused the initial failure so they can wind up in the queue for a
long time.  If there are a lot of messages that are being sent, the concurrent
number of outgoing mail processes may be such that the process that runs the
queue can't establish outgoing connections.  In this case, emails could sit in
the queue for quite some time.

There is nothing deterministic about Email systems.  Messages are not
guaranteed to be delivered in the order sent.  There are so many things that
will delay messages that it would take reading the 'Receieved by' headers to
even find out where the delay occurred.

It even makes sense that the response to an email list could arrive before the
initial message in some cases.

Hope this helps...

Cheers!

Bob