linux newbie cdwriting

Dave Andruczyk djandruczyk at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 6 16:14:47 EST 2004

This is why I like gentoo.  To update, you run "emerge sync" and then "emerge
world -u"  it all runs by itself.  if you start it under "screen" you can
disconnect that session and leave it go and it'll compile the updates for you
in the background.  I installed gentoo about 2 years ago and haven't had to
reinstall once. (though I had to boot off a rescue CD when I did a few stupid
things) My box is jsut as current now as if I had installed it yesterday.  This
I see is one of gentoo's strengths. (it's weakness or strength if you look at
it differently is that it compiles everything from source when updating so it
can be time consuming,  but I just let it run in the background and don't
really notice it)

=====
Dave J. Andruczyk